Head of Care at The Elders care home in Ewell, Epsom
Location: The Elders, Epsom Road, Ewell, KT17 1JT
Hours: 33 per week
Salary: £11.42 per hour
Working as a Head of Care for Abbeyfield you will ensure that services provided respect individual rights and choices while offering support, empathy, compassion and privacy. You will support and work closely with families and friends offering them professional and emotional support, sensitive to individual needs. You will assist in contributing to the initial assessment of prospective residents and help administer prescribed medication to residents. You will assist in the management of an effective system for the safe control and administration of medication in accordance with policy and procedures.
You will also assess staff training needs and organise appropriate training in liaison with appropriate responsible person, monitor care staff performance, report any issues to the Deputy/Manager and provide annual appraisals.
As part of this role, you will:
• Understand and observe all relevant regulations and Abbeyfield policies and procedures.
• Assist the Home Manager to ensure all aspects of health and safety for staff, residents and visitors are properly managed and that all regulatory requirements are met.
• Be familiar with the administrative records of the home and ensure that all records are kept up to date.
• Follow appropriate procedures in the event of accidents/emergencies
• Ensure that the home is secure at all times whilst on duty.
• Ensure appropriate and agreed staffing levels are maintained in liaison with the deputy/manager.
• To report and advise the relevant persons with respect to the repairs and maintenance of the home.
The following are essential for this Head of Care role:
• Extensive experience in a health or social care setting working with older people
• A relevant NVQ Level 3 qualification or equivalent
• Ability to communicate and interact well with residents and others
• To be able to read, write and work with numbers to a good standard
• Good basic care planning skills
• Ability to work on own initiative and under pressure in a diverse and changing environment
• Demonstrate an empathy and understanding of the needs of older people
• Ability to carry out all aspects of the role to a high standard at all times
• Ability to effectively supervise individuals and a team
The following are desirable for this Head of Care role:
• Training or Assessment Qualification e.g. Moving and Handling
• Evidence of continuous professional development.
• Current Qualification for First Aid
• Access to own car and full driving licence or willingness to travel.
About The Elders Care Home
The Elders Care Home is set at the top of Ewell Village near all local amenities.
Our large Victorian House is well maintained, spacious and has character. In the mid 1900’s the house was a maternity hospital for the local community, one room was the hospital chapel. There is an extension to the home leading from the dining room and hall which houses a lovely large living room and conservatory, leading out onto a pleasant sunny patio area and large garden lawn.
The home is able to accommodate 23 residents all in single occupancy rooms; we have 11 bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms and 12 bedrooms near bathroom facilities. We have four assisted bathrooms and one assisted shower room. A good variety of seasonal meals are available for residents to choose from, and we pride ourselves on our ability to cater for individual needs.
Residents assist in the formulation of seasonal menus. Home made cakes are baked daily, and during the warmer seasons we regularly enjoy lunch or afternoon barbecues.
Please apply online or if you require more information, please contact Paul Davies, the Care Home Manager, on 020 8393 9757
Please quote job reference V0234.
This post is subject to a DBS check.